Car Boot Vinyl Diaries

Car Boot Vinyl Diaries

Sunday 29 April 2012

Instant Karma

Out for a walk during one of yesterday's downpours, I found a £20 note in a puddle.  My route took me past the local police station so I handed it in before having a quick look around the shops.

Maybe the karma police were watching, but as I walked past a charity shop that I'd not been in for a few weeks, I spotted this LP through the window:


Phil Spector's Christmas Album (1983)

I already own this fabulous album, having got it on eBay last Christmas, but it's in lovely condition so I'll hang on to it and maybe sell it on in December.

I found three other LPs that were keepers; the first was this sixties compilation:


Various Artists - Sixties Mix (1987)

60s comps were hugely popular in the 80s, and many, like this one were sequenced as non-stop party mixes i.e. all the tracks stitched together.  Luckily this one is mixed in a restrained fashion without any annoying Jive Bunny-esque effects!  It's a perfect album for dancing around the living room to on a rainy Sunday morning, which is exactly what I was doing earlier.

I also got Squeeze's singles collection; 45s & Under:


Squeeze - 45s & Under (1982)

Top tracks:  Squeeze – Up The Junction       Squeeze – Pulling Mussels (From The Shell)

                         Squeeze – Labelled With Love             Squeeze – Cool For Cats - Single Edit


It dawned on me when playing it that one of my favourite Squeeze songs isn't called 'Pulling Muscles For Michelle'.  Ah.

Lastly was a 1980 Gladys Knight LP, from the hugely successful K-Tel budget compilation company:


Gladys Knight & the Pips - The Touch Of Love (1980)

Top tracks:  Gladys Knight & The Pips – Midnight Train To Georgia

                       Gladys Knight & The Pips – Help Me Make It Through The Night - Single Version

                                 Gladys Knight & The Pips – The Look Of Love


Each album cost just £1 - not bad for a soggy Saturday, and it more than makes up for no car boot sale this weekend.  Hopefully I'll get back out there next Sunday, but the weather forecast for May ain't looking good.

On the bright side, if no-one claims the lost note within 28 days, I'm 20 quid up - hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment